Total Pageviews

Thursday 12 November 2015

Personas - My Writing Self

Paula pointed out that I have been referring to Myself and My Professional Self in my blogs almost as if they are two different people. The more I think about it, they are different people in a way.  The most obvious example is online profiles. Someone looking at pictures posted on my private Facebook account and my professional Instagram account would think I was two different people.  In a way this scares me a little bit, do I have something to hide? Am I really two different people?
I feel everything I choreograph professionally is based on feelings and experiences that I have in my personal life.  The mood I'm in when I deliver a class depends on what's happened in my personal life as well as my professional life, so this proves that the two personas are connected, but then why do they look so different when documented in a series of photos?
So many questions, so many ways of looking at every possible situation, its overwhelming!

To help me on my journey through this learning process I have bought my self a desk.  May seem random to some but so far I think it has really helped me focus, create and reflect.
I live in a small one bedroom flat with my partner and two cats. I will admit I am a hoarder but everything has its place.  I have been doing all my work from the comfort of my couch, except as you can imagine sitting with a twisted back is everything but comfy.  So I decided to move my living room round one night to accommodate a desk.  It worked so we collected the flat pack desk and began building :)


Lots of bits and bobs.
 
I can't believe how much it has helped me focus, I don't have to worry about looking for my pen for ages to then stand up and realise I've been sat on it, or get distracted by my cat wanting to come for a cuddle.  I have my own work station, where I can organise all my books and paperwork.  Create ideas, sit, reflect and most of all write.
I may have a third persona developing, My 'Writer Self'. I'm not sure if this is possible but when I sit here I feel like a professional but not the same one that's in the dance class, a different person again, a professional writer.  I must admit I like it. I like writing. What I don't like, is finding the starting point.  Tonight I'm on a roll, I feel if I stop I wont be able to start again.  I had a similar situation today on my driving lesson, I got into a situation on a steep hill,where I felt like if I stopped I wouldn't be able to start again, so I surged forward and up the hill.  Not the best choice in that situation as there was a car coming towards me. 
As I am reading through Twyla Tharps Book 'The Creative Habit'  I am learning different ways to combat this.  I struggle with time keeping, I am no good at using my time beneficially, I day dream and get distracted easily and when I ask my self at the end of the day 'what have I accomplished?' most days its the bare essentials.  I would not class my self as a lazy person, I'm the complete opposite but I just struggle to get motivated.
Twyla, explains how to make routines into rituals, so they become part of our muscle memory and our every day habits.  I am currently trying out some of her exercises to be able to accomplish this.
 
I have also bought a few more books that arrived today.
Steal Like an Artist - Austin Klein
Show your Work - Austin Klein
Manage your Day to Day - 99U
I will be sure to review these books once I have read them
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment