Total Pageviews

Thursday 19 November 2015

Which Direction Should I Take?

Task 2d - Inquiry Task


Looking inward, I began to answer the questions in this task.
- I get really enthusiastic about teaching, I always look forward to it, helping children achieve even only one thing in my class gives me a good feeling inside.  Learning from experiences I encounter along the way, improving my teaching methods continually.
I admire the Principal of the dance school where I teach. She is the same age as me and has accomplished so much, very modest, she goes about her day which starts with teaching at a local primary school, from there to after school club and on to the studio till 9pm some evening. Never do you hear her moan she is tired or stressed, never do you hear her boast about all she has.  A humble person. That is all I want to be, personally although it would be no doubt amazing to be famous, that is not what I am interested in, I want to be the best I can be and share my knowledge with others, experiment with choreography and music and solely enjoy what I do which then will rub off onto my students.

-Students who think they are above others in a class really make me angry. Coming back to modesty, the dance world being one of the most competitive, you can understand why there may be tension between dancers but to just be damn right rude to both peers and teachers, thinking they know it all, are better than everyone in the room and do not need corrections. All this clearly portrayed through their body language.  I normally find this in students who have the most ability, they get to a certain stage in the learning and think they no it all.  Trying to make them believe otherwise is like pulling teeth.
I feel the love for pure and natural lines in dance has been lost to a certain extent. Hyperextended limbs is what everyone wants nowadays, being able to sit in the splits on both legs is not enough anymore.  As recent as this morning on Instagram I woke up to a stream of photographs and videos, posted by a local dance school.  Children as young as 7 & 8 years old in positions I would expect to see from an mature Olympic gymnast.  This makes me sad.  Its all children seem to be interested in, I mean I have always had healthy sized ballet classes but a new acro dance class that has just been introduced, already has a waiting list.  What has happened, why does everyone suddenly want to be a gymnast?

-I Love what I do! I love dance in all shapes and forms just as much as I do music. Being able to share the love and my knowledge of both of these combined in a dance class is a dream come true for me.  Knowing I can walk into a class and create anything I like in the given space and time, within reason of course...

I got distracted from this question and for some reason I decided to read down to the example at the bottom of the page. I read back over what I had written and thought back to myself 'boring, why am I wittering on again. The example just gave me a whole new angle to look at the task.
So I started again from the beginning.

-I am enthusiastic about combining Classical Ballet with Breakbeat. Growing up I loved both equally, the idea of combining them came at an early age. For those who don't know what Breakbeat is, it is a form of 'break' music slower than drum and bass but faster than house music. It is mainly produced my Spanish DJ's for example DJ Kultur and Colombo to name a few.
I regularly daydream or dance about depending on where I am, with my eyes closed imagining all the possibility's.  Imagine a fast but steady beat accompanied by a group of ten or so technical classical dancers, still using the clean classical lines but in more of an art deco way. Jagged lines and vivid dynamic, bold costumes.  I get enthusiastic typing about it, I have shared this with friends many a time but never publicly. 

At this point I need help.  I feel I would love to base my inquiry on this idea to explore it deeper and possibly make it a reality.  But is it too out there? Are there limits?
Please comment and give your opinion, I would be really grateful.



No comments:

Post a Comment